How will someone who is NOT even a filmmaker, know to formulate and implement policies, and UPGRADE THE CRAFT OF FILMMAKING?
Eh kung ‘yung low grade, wala tayong skills, upgrade pa kaya?
The Powers and Functions of the FDCP are clear, concise, and very specific.
Note that if an FDCP head was capable of doing 1 to 3, as well 5 to 10, then number 4 is the its by-product without spending on overlapping projects with the NCCA or the CCP.
That the new appointee is even thinking of a Film Summit and is “crowdsourcing” recommendations from social media, like this is the primary function of this office is telling of the fact that she has neither the credentials nor the skills, the vision nor the academic background and cultural work experience to fulfil all these 10 functions. And pray tell how would she know what the 11th will be, if she cannot go from 1 to 10?
1. To establish and implement a Cinema Evaluation System in accordance with the criteria set forth in this Act;
2. To develop and implement an incentive and reward system for the producers based on merit to encourage the production of quality films;
3. To establish, organize, operate and maintain local and international film festivals, exhibitions and similar activities;
4. To encourage and undertake activities that will promote the growth and development of the local film industry and promote its participation in both domestic and foreign markets;
5. To develop and promote programs to enhance the skills and expertise of Filipino talents necessary for quality film production;
6. To prescribe the procedures for the exercise of its powers and functions as well as the performance of its duties and responsibilities;
7. To determine the Council’s organizational structure and staffing pattern and appoint officers and employees of the Council in accordance with Civil Service laws, rules and regulations;
8. To acquire, manage and hold such real and personal property as may be necessary to carry out the purposes and objectives of this Act;
9. To invest funds and other assets in such activities or undertakings that shall directly and indirectly promote development of the film industry, including the production of films and other terms and conditions as it may deem wise and desirable;
10. To ensure the establishment of a film archive in order to conserve and protect film negatives and/or prints as part of the nation’s historical, cultural, and artistic heritage; and
11. To perform such other functions as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.